Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Traditions of a Non-Christian -- BEDA #24


I was planning to make today’s BEDA a review of Star Wars episode IV but seeing as everyone else is talking about Easter thought I may as well bend to peer pressure and join in. That’s right kids the moral here is to bend to peer pressure. 

Anyways, I’m not Christian. My family is Hindu and I was raised as such. However, we do live in a largely Christian country so we occasionally co-op the holidays. We never really co-opted Easter beyond the chocolate egg hunt tradition though and even that stopped once my sister and I got older. My real memories of Easter come from primary school. I went to a catholic school, not a run by nuns’ type of catholic school, just a public school that happened to be catholic. This was in the days before they secularized the school system in my town. Around Easter every year all the students from my school would take a short walk up the hill and attend a service. There we would sing songs and hymns about spring and Easter and watch performances. My parents never bothered signing me out of these trips to the church; they figured it was a good opportunity for me to learn about other religions. Being raised in a non Christian household my knowledge of Christianity at the age of ten was somewhat shaky. I knew the general jist of the story of the bible but not the details. The church at which we attended this service every year had a giant organ. The pipes of the organ took up the entire front wall of the church. The architecture of the church made appear as if there was some space behind these pipes and the exterior wall. During these long fieldtrips the other kids in my class decided it would be fun to mess with me. To be fair they were probably just bored, I hold no grudge. They managed to convince me that the body of Christ was placed behind the organ pipes. I remember thinking that this church was no more special that other churches in town and therefore the body of Christ must be in every Church behind the organ pipes. Ten year old Sue spent much of her time on these church trips pondering the physics of how the body of Christ could be in every church. I’m not sure when I figured out they were messing with me probably around the time that I properly read the story of Easter. These fieldtrips stopped once the school system became secularized. Nowadays my Easter traditions amount to buying discounted chocolate on Easter Monday.


30 Day Song Challenge

day 24 - a song that you want to play at your funeral

I really don't know so I'm going to go super unoriginal here
James Blunt – Goodbye My Lover


No comments:

Post a Comment