Thursday, April 28, 2011

Helping People Imagine You Complexly – BEDA 28

My dad walked to the kitchen at 7am the yesterday to find me singing along to Ani Difranco’s Talk To Me Now. Though the song is one of my favourites it had gotten lost in the sea that is my itunes library and as a result I hadn’t heard it in months. Listening to a song like that especially one that that I played constantly for a long time a few years ago (in my case my first year of university) is like running into an old friend after a long time.  I got carried away in the song the same way you would when reminiscing with an old friend and started singing along. I didn’t just mumbling the lyrics. I was all out singing the song with all of Ani’s inflections and swaying around the kitchen. 

My dad seemed rather taken a back at first and asked me what I was doing. I realized that while I sing along to songs often, it’s a side of me he rarely if ever sees.  The side of me that adores music, needs music, and defines myself though my favourite songs.  I often get irritated when I feel that people not treating me fairly by simplifying me or not imagining me complexly. However, the fact of the matter, which I realized in my kitchen at 7am, is that if you want people to do this you have to be willing to show them your many sides.

30 Day Song Challenge
Day 28 - a song that makes you feel guilty

I don’t have songs that make me feel guilty so I’m just going to give you another guilty pleasure song

Waking up in Vegas – Katy Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment