Friday, April 22, 2011

My Top 10 Favourite Doctor Who Stories-- BEDA #22

In  honour of the series 6 premiere of Doctor Who tomorrow I thought I’d share my top ten stories* of "new who" to date. These are ranked in no particular order mostly because it took me long enough to even come up with a top ten. Also, this post contains spoilers for the episodes mentioned.

2X04: The Girl in the Fireplace
The chemistry between David Tennant and Sophia Myles is possibly the best I have ever seen on screen. It’s enough to even make my Ten and Rose shipper heart melt. I also love the beautifully heartbreaking ending (You’ll see a trend as you read this list...apparently I love heartbreaking endings).

4X03: The Planet of the Ood
My favourite parts of Doctor Who is the futuristic time travel inhabited planets. Also I love anything to do with the various incarnations of the Great and Bountiful Human Empire. I love the idea that someday the human race will be out there spread among the stars. This episode combines all three loves.

Also, I adore the Ood. I have no idea why, I just do. Maybe it’s their peaceful nature maybe it’s their creatively designed faces.

5X05: The Beast Below
This is the episode that made me fall in love with Doctor Who. I began watching the series with The Eleventh Hour (5X01) and after watching that episode I quite enjoyed it but after watching The Beast Below I was hooked for life. A large potion of why I love this episode has to do with the nostalgia associated with this memory but the episode does hold up to rewatching, in my opinion.

3X10: Blink
Generally agreed upon by fans to be one of the shows best episodes and let me tell you it is not over hyped. This episode has it all a storyline that keeps you guessing, the scare factor, a likable main character and romance.

After seeing The Christmas Invasion and Love and Monsters I had given up hope on Doctor-light episodes being any good. It turns out that they can be quite good you just need a strong lead character to carry the episode, Sally Sparrow is that character.

5X10 Vincent and the Doctor
I went into this episode fully expecting to hate it. It’s set in the past on earth and is focused on a historical figure I’m not particularly interested in. However, the episode won me over with its character exploration and its beautiful cinematography.

2X12 / 2X13 The Army of Ghost/Doomsday
Dalek vs. Cybermen showdown. Lots of Ten/Rose moments and the most heart breaking ending in the history of the (new) show. What more can you ask for really?

Christmas Special 2010: A Christmas Carol
The Eleventh Doctor and Steven Moffat at their best. Timey Wimeyness dialed up to 11** and some of the best dialogue of the show. The number of quotable one-liners in this episode is ridiculous.

1X9/ 1X10 The Empty Child/ The Doctor Dances
A creepy monster (it’s about time people acknowledge how creepy children can be haha), the introduction of Jack Freaking Harkness and an actual happy ending.  

5X12 / 5X 13 The Pandorica Opens/ The Big Bang
A brilliant twist in the first part, ridiculous timey wimeyness in part two and River Song at making a Dalek beg for mercy. What more can you ask for?

4X9 Midnight
The scariest episode, in my opinion. Also, some of Tennant’s best acting.  

Honourable mentions:
Boomtown
Silence in the Library/ Forests of the Dead
Human Nature/ Family of Blood
Turn Left



What's your top ten?




* A two parter still equals one story.
 ** Get it?

30 Day Song Challenge
day 22 - a song that you listen to when you’re sad

The Stars -- Calendar Girl


2 comments:

  1. The first episode I ever saw Blink and I must say that it is terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay... okay. I think... yeah, I think this post might have had an affect on me. I now reeeally want to watch doctor who... was thinking about it a lot yesterday soon after I read this. Any suggestions on where I should start?

    ReplyDelete