Monday, April 25, 2011

Star Wars Episode IV Review – BEDA #25

The other day I rented and watched Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope for the first time. I thought I would use today’s BEDA post to give a quick review.

Story

I have seen a few spoofs of Star Wars and have been around long enough in science fiction circles to have most of the plot points of the movie spoiled for me. So much so that during the scene with Han and Greedo I thought to myself this must be the scene where Han shot first originally. The one thing that wasn’t spoiled for me was the return of Han during the final showdown and I’ll admit that got a cheer out of me when it happened.

In terms of the actual story I thought the front end of the movie was poorly paced and dragging in parts. If I had stumbled onto this movie on TV and not know the huge status that it has I probably would have switched channels about 30 minutes in. I am glad I kept watch though as the pacing and plot improved as the movie went on.

Visuals/Special effects

I am a big science fiction fan but I am also spoiled by the great CGI in newer shows and movies. Thus I was a little worried about whether or not I would like Star Wars on a purely visual basis. I was pleasantly surprised. There were only a couple of short scenes where the special effects were laughable. I thought the final show down between the rebels and the Base Star were done remarkably well. The battle was written and filmed in such a way that it was dynamic and complex without being confusing or repetitive. If I had to pick a favourite part of the movie that would be it.

Acting/ Characters

While overall the acting was decent, I was underwhelmed by Mark Hamill acting in the beginning particularly in response to the death of aunt and uncle and the destruction of his town.  

In terms of characters I found Han and Leia the most interesting. I hope we learn more about Leia’s past in the next couple of movies. I am interested to learn how someone of royal decent who is a politician learned to fight. I don’t dislike Luke and I hope he is meant to grow on you as the story progresses with the other movies.


Overall I did enjoy the movie. I would give it 4 stars out of 5.
I am definitely going to watch episodes V and VI and perhaps the prequels as well.


30 Day Song Challenge
day 25 - a song that makes you laugh

Chameleon Circuit – Journey’s End

(Note this song does contain spoilers)


I always get a laugh out of the boys making fun of the ridiculous plot lines of the series 4 finale of Doctor Who. My favourite lines have to be “That doesn’t sound plausible!” and of course the chorus:
 
“He was pretty lucky that he kept his severed hand/
Though in terms of canon I do not quite understand/
What was Russell thinking? What the hell was going on?/
OK, fine, we're sorry, we'll get right back to the song”

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you finally watched it. I was kind of brought up on it.

    ReplyDelete