Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My Encounter with a Squirrel – BEDA 19

A few years back my family and I went to Vancouver. While there we visited Stanley Park. In addition to having beautiful trees, scenery, and foliage, the park is home to some smaller animals like squirrels.

While taking nature shots of the park I spotted one of the squirrels and decided I wanted a close up. I approach the squirrel slowing figuring that if I got too close for the squirrel to be comfortable I would just run away.

The squirrel did not run. When it noticed me approaching it perked up and ran towards me.

That’s when my fight or flight response kicked in.

It’s important to note here a squirrel is only about 8 inches tall. Now while I’m only 5 foot 2 (on a good day) that’s still a hell of a lot bigger than a squirrel. However my brain was not thinking that. Nor was it thinking “aww how cute you should take your picture now”. No, my brain was thinking “HOLY SHIT A WIDE ANIMAL IS CHARGING TOWARDS YOU. GET OUT OF HERE NOW” …so I ran. I’ll admit I’m not proud of that.

..And that’s the story of how I ended up being chased by a squirrel.

30 Day Song Challenge
day 19 - a song from your favourite album

Alex Day – Not Just Yet




Listen to the whole album for free here.

1 comment:

  1. Are squirrels not normal for you? Cause they are all over the pace here. And I do mean everywhere.

    ReplyDelete